- Other Apps
For the meat sauce:
3 tbsp of olive oil
a mix of basil, thyme, parsley, rosemary 1 tbsp of dry Italian seasoning 2 tsp
1 large onion
4 cloves of garlic
1 tbsp of chilli flakes
black pepper ½ tsp
salt to taste (around 1tsp )( remember that cheddar cheese is salty)
ground meat 1 kg (beef or mutton)
chopped tomatoes 800g
water to cook for 30 minutes
For bechamel /white sauce:
butter 4 tbsp
flour 4 tbsp
pinch of nutmeg
pinch of salt
cold milk 3 cups
one packet of instant/no-boil lasagna sheet or as needed
grated mozzarella cheese
grated light cheddar cheese
grated parmesan cheese (optional)
fresh mozzarella on top (optional)
Time and temperature:
bake at 200°C preheated oven for 35-40 minutes covered then uncover the lasagna and bake another 10-15 minutes to brown the top a bit. ( oven temperature and time may vary)
1. caramelize onion and meat before adding tomato for extra flavour
2. pour milk quickly at once for the smooth bechamel sauce. if you pour slowly the flour will be lumpy and you have to whisk for a long time.
if the sauce thickens a lot add a little more milk or water.
3. if you don't have fresh herbs use around 2 tsp of dry Italian seasoning
4. when adding salt remember that we are adding little salt in every sauce and the cheese is also salty.
5. I used some toothpick to prevent the aluminium foil from sticking to the cheese, remember to take it out before serving.
6. let the lasagna cool down and set before slicing