- Other Apps
Ingredients for 9 pieces of bread:
bread flour 300g(2cups-pressed)
water 190g(200 ml) (2tbsp more or less depending on the type of flour)
yeast 1 1/4 tsp
milk powder 6tbsp
butter 55 g (4-5 tbsp)
salt 3/4 tsp(1/2 tsp if you use salted butter)
20-25 mins on 175°C(350°F)(depending on your oven type)
( under baked bread will feel dough like texture and smells more yeasty)
- mix all the ingredients in a bowl except butter
- stir in flour until you have a soft, shaggy dough
- Turn dough out onto a floured work surface, add butter at this point, knead until smooth and elastic, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Butter the inside of a large bowl; place dough in bowl, turning to coat. Cover bowl with plastic wrap; let stand in a warm spot until dough has doubled in size, about 1 hour
- turn dough onto surface,punch the air out, do not knead, divide dough into 9 pieces
- roll flat first and then shape into small balls
- In a small bowl, beat egg until blended; brush onto rolls.
- let it rise until almost double
- Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes, rotating pans halfway through.
- Let rolls cool 15 minutes before serving.
1.Scale measurement is more accurate.Cup measurement could be little different for various reasons.If you measure by cups adjust water accordingly( two three tbsp more or less.)
2. Proper kneading and folding are important for the chewy texture of bread.
3.The dough will be sticky and soft at the beginning. A soft dough makes soft bread. After 15 mins of kneading, it will not stick to your hand anymore.
4.Ovens have different temperature.If you find the color of the bread going dark before time, place an aluminum foil on top of the bread soon after you get your desired color.
5. Use a minimum amount of dusting possible. Dusting can make hard texture.You can also use oil instead of flour to prevent sticking.
6. But if you measure by cups flour and water ratio may not be exact sometimes. in that case, you can add some flour if the dough too wet to handle.(make a soft dough possible.)
7. I recommend bread flour. if you can't find it you can use plain all purpose flour but knead longer.
8.I use instant yeast.Water temperature should be like body temperature if you dip your finger in water for 30 sec and you don't feel uncomfortable or irritation but you feel the warmth that is perfect. Yeast dies in hot water. I sometimes even use room temperature water which also works fine.If you have Thermometer it should be between 35°c to 40°C.
9.It's important to have a warm place for proofing bread dough, in winter dough will not rise on counter top.I turn the oven on for a few seconds then turn off and put the tray in, I feel the temperature inside the oven by putting my hand in to make sure it's warm, not hot.I do it every 15 mins to keep the dough warm. normally it takes between 30mins to 1hour to rise.Or you can just turn the oven light on if you have the option.