- Other Apps
4 large egg yolk (66g)
3tbsp sugar (40g)
pinch of salt
3tbsp milk (46g)
3tbsp oil (40g)
1/2 cup +3tbsp cake flour(80g)
4 large egg white (130g)
1/4 cup sugar(50g)
1tsp lemon juice or vinegar
bake at 150°C, 85 mins (Not 75 as mentioned in the video) in a preheated oven at the bottom rack with both top and bottom heat on.
You will need (18cm x 7cm) 7-inch round baking pan(similar to this https://amzn.to/2XdUoYh ). Line with a round cut parchment paper in the bottom. I did not grease the side of the pan. preheat the oven.
1) In a bowl, mix egg yolks, sugar, salt, canola oil, vanilla, and milk. Sift cake flour 3 times and whisk until smooth.
2) In a separate bowl, whisk egg whites until foamy then add lemon juice and sugar a little bit at a time. whisk until it thickens to stiff peak stage.
3) Gently fold in the whites and yolk mixture until incorporated. Be careful do not over mix, otherwise, the foam will deflate and the cake won’t rise.
4) Pour the mixture into 7 inch round baking pan. Bang the pan 2-3 times to remove any big air bubbles.
5) Use a large baking tray, pour in hot water then place the cake pan in for a hot water bath.
6) place the tray on the bottom rack of the oven with top and bottom heat on and Bake at 150°C for 75- 80 minutes or until cake tests done. bang the pan on the floor a few times to prevent the cake from shrinking.
7) Transfer the cake to a wire rack to cool down. Leftover cake can be covered and kept in the freezer.
* be careful when separating eggs, if there's any yolk in the egg whites it won't whip up properly!
* I used cold eggs out of the refrigerator. this makes a huge difference, room temperature meringue deflates easily.
* the water bath is important as it keeps the cake cooking at a steady temperature
* Be careful not to open the oven during the baking process.
* Over mixing cake batter can result in a heavy, sinking cake, close to omelet like texture.
* use big strokes to fold, never use an electric mixer for mixing meringue into yolk batter.
* Do not over or under beat the egg whites.
* Do not bake the cake quickly at a high temperature otherwise, the cake could crack on top.
* if your cake tin bottom is removable like my one, place it on a plate or wrap in foil to stop water from getting in. If the pan bottom is intact foil isn't needed.
* everyone's oven works differently. check the temperature of your oven.
* Place the tray on the bottom rack, that way the top will not burn and the water will protect the bottom from burning.
* every step in the video must follow including mixing technique.
* be gentle while mixing the meringue into the yolk batter. don't deflate the air bubbles.
* Cakes shrink if they're not baked thoroughly
* If your cake shrinks after taking out of the oven, that means you needed to bake 5-10 mins more.