- Other Apps
80g cake flour(1/2 cup+3tbsp)Cake flour I use(Amazon link)http://amzn.to/2we46cd
20g cocoa powder (1/4 cup)
50g sugar (1/4 cup)
40g oil(1/4 cup)
50g milk (less than 4tbsp)
pinch of salt
66g egg yolk (4 large)
130g egg whites(4 large)
50g sugar(1/4 cup)
1tsp lemon juice
7" cake pan (18cm x 7cm)
Bake at 150°c preheated oven for 85(5 min up&down) in a preheated oven at the bottom rack with both top and bottom heat on.
* preheat the oven to 150°c and boil some water, and line the baking pan with parchment paper, wrap the bottom of the pan with aluminum foil if the pan bottom is separable.
*sift flour and cocoa powder together very well
*add the mixture of egg yolk, sugar, salt, milk, vanilla, oil into the flour and mix until smooth.
* in a separate bowl whisk egg white until little foamy then add lemon juice, sugar and whisk until a stiff peak form using an electric mixer.
* very gently fold the egg white into the egg yolk batter. add in three batches to prevent the egg foam to deflate.
* mix gently just until all incorporated.
*pour into the baking pan, tap the pan on a surface a few times to get rid of big air bubbles, place it in a baking tray filled with 1/2 " hot water for a water bath.
* place the tray on the bottom rack of the oven with the top and bottom heat on.
*Bake for 85 mins or until done.
*tap the pan on the surface for a few times after out of the oven while hot, remove from the pan and let it cool on a rack.
*this cake doesn't have any leavening agents so be careful not to deflate the egg foam while mixing. that's the only thing makes the cake rise.
* be careful when separating eggs, if there's any yolk in the egg whites it won't whip up properly!
* I used cold eggs out of the refrigerator, not room-temperature. I noticed room temperature meringue deflates easily.
* the water bath is important as it keeps the cake cooking at a steady temperature
* Be careful not to open the oven during the baking process.
* Over mixing cake batter can result in a heavy, sinking fast, closed to omelette like texture.
* fold the mixture in big strokes, never use an electric mixer for mixing.
* Do not over or under beat the egg whites.It will help your cakes rise perfectly.
* Do not bake the cake quickly at a high temperature otherwise, the cake could fall apart and crack on top.
* if your cake tin bottom is removable like my one place it on a plate or wrap with foil to stop water to get in.
* place the tray at the bottom rack, that way the top will not burn and the water will protect the bottom from burning.
* every step in the video must follow including mixing technique.
* be gentle while mixing the meringue into the yolk batter. don't deflate the air bubbles.
* Cakes shrinks if they're not baked thoroughly
* If your cake shrinks after taking out of the oven, that means you needed to bake 5-10 mins more.