- Other Apps
Cake flour-100g (1cup)
Sugar- 90g (½ cup)
Egg - 4
Salt - ¼ Tsp
vegetable oil-70ml (1/3 cup)
Orange juice - 50ml(3tbsp)
Orange zest - 3tsp
cream of tartar-¼ tsp(optional)
- Separate egg whites and yolks.
- In a bowl mix egg yolk, orange zest, salt, ½ of the sugar, orange juice, flour and oil.
- Now whisk egg white, add rest of the sugar when egg white starts to foam but still liquid.
- Add cream of tartar and beat until stiff peak forms.
- Cream of tartar makes the meringue stable.
- Now use a spatula to fold in egg white into the flour mixture very softly.
- Add in 3 batches to avoid deflation of egg white.
- Careful not to overmix, you don’t want the air pockets to deflate.
- Next line a 7” pan with parchment paper.
- Avoid oil or butter to grease the pan.
- Grease-free pan helps the batter to rise properly.
- Pour the batter in, tap the pan on the table to get rid of big air bubbles.
- Preheat the oven to 175c (350f). Bake for 40-45 mins or until a toothpick comes out clean when you poke it into the middle of the cake.
- After taking out of the oven let it cool upside down to prevent the cake to deflate.
- the egg white will not whip up properly if there is any trace of egg yolk in the white. so separate carefully.
- Over baking causes dry cake, so check 5mins beforehand, as oven temperature may vary.
- Use a 9” pan if you want to double the recipe.
- you can use lemon juice instead of cream of tartar
- underbaking will shrink the cake after cooling down
- use a piece of aluminum foil to cover the cake after you achieve the right golden brown color you like to stop burning the top