- Other Apps
Ingredients for 9 garlic bread:
300g bread flour(2 cups packed)
140g whole milk(145ml)
11/2 tsp yeast
1tsp garlic salt
1tsp parsley (optional)
1tsp minced garlic
- mix all the ingredients in a bowl except butter
- stir in until you have a soft, shaggy dough
- Turn dough out onto a floured work surface, add butter at this point, knead until smooth and elastic, 10 to 15 minutes. Or knead in a stand mixer for 10 mins.
- Butter the inside of a large bowl; place dough in the bowl, turning to coat. Cover bowl with plastic wrap; let stand in a warm spot until dough has doubled in size, about 1 hour
- turn dough onto surface,punch the air out, do not knead, divide dough into 9 pieces
- roll flat first and then shape into small balls
- In a small bowl, beat egg and minched garlic until blended; brush onto rolls.
- let it rise until almost double
- Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes, rotating pans halfway through.
- rub butter on the bread while hot
- Let rolls cool if you can resist.
*make sure your yeast is good quality, raises perfectly, not half dead.
1.If you follow my exact measurement you don't need any extra flour to knead, in-case your dough feels too wet to handle after kneading you can add 1tbsp flour as needed but don't use too much otherwise the bread will become dense.oil your hand if it sticks.the dough supposed to be very soft.
2.scale measurement is more accurate.cup measurement could be little different for various reasons.But if you measure by cups flour and water ratio may not be exact sometimes. in that case, you can add some flour if the dough is too wet to handle.(make a soft dough possible.)
proper kneading and folding are important for the chewy texture of bread.
3.dough will be sticky and soft at the beginning. A soft dough makes soft bread. After 15 mins of kneading, it will not stick to your hand anymore.
4.Ovens has different temperature.If you find the color of the bread going dark before time, place an aluminum foil on top of the bread soon after you get your desired color.
5. use a minimum amount of flour dusting possible. dusting can make hard texture.you can also use oil instead of flour to prevent sticking.
6. I recommend bread flour. if you can't find it you can use plain all purpose flour but knead longer.but the chewiness may not be the same.
7.I use instant yeast.water temperature should be like body temperature if you dip your finger in water for 30 sec and you don't feel uncomfortable or irritation but you feel the warmth that is perfect. yeast dies in hot water. I sometimes even use room temperature water which also works fine.If you have Thermometer it should be between 35°c to 40°C.
8.It's good to have a warm place for proofing bread dough, in winter dough will not rise on counter top.I turn the oven on for a few seconds then turn off and put the tray in, I feel the temperature inside the oven by putting my hand in to make sure it's warm, not hot.I do it every 15 mins to keep the dough warm. normally it takes between 30mins to 1hour to rise.Or you can just turn the oven light on if you have the option.
9. you can start baking in cold oven if you slightly under proof but preheat the oven if you proof the dough fully.